~ Library Director Position ~
The Old Forge Library Board of Trustees seeks a full time Library Director, who is an exceptional leader and who demonstrates commitment to the public library’s excellent service to the local community. The director will demonstrate a spirit of friendliness, helpfulness, cooperation, and flexibility with the public, the Friends of the Library, the Library Board of Trustees, and maintain professional conduct in all aspects of the job. With a dedicated staff of part time employees, volunteers, and a Friends group, the library serves a small town of about 1,500 residents in Old Forge, NY, with a significant increase in population in the summer months. The Old Forge Library is part of the Mid-York Library System (MYLS). Old Forge is located 50 miles north of Utica, NY in the southern Adirondacks. Additional information may be found at www.oldforgelibrary.org.
The ideal candidate will have the skills and experience to plan and implement new services and programs, and inspire community support. The director reports to the Board of Trustees.
* Develop and manage library programs for a diverse patron base, seeking and responding to input from
* Project a positive image of the library, with a focus on providing exceptional service.
* Partner with fellow library directors/managers, community members and organizations to
offer services and programs.
* Management duties including outreach, personnel, budgeting, collection development, social media,
facilities management, and information services in accordance with policies developed by the Board
* Work smoothly and cooperatively with patrons, schools, businesses, municipal entities, Friends,
staff and community groups in the area, with courtesy, tact and effective communications.
* Advise and work closely with the Board on all library matters and keep the Trustees informed
of relevant issues.
* Exhibit knowledge of new and existing technologies.
* Minimum of 2 years of college (60 credits)from an accredited institution.
* The ability to travel to regional meetings and attend occasional training opportunities.
* Administrative and/or management experience.
* A Masters of Library Science or Masters of Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited
* Library experience.
* Experience and/or knowledge of library-driven technology services.
SALARY: Salary and benefits are negotiable and competitive with regional libraries of similar size.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Applicant must be able to bend and stretch while shelving books, stand for several hours at a time, carry at least 40 pounds, be comfortable climbing stairs, and perform light general maintenance. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
HOURS: 40 hours per week on a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
DEADLINE: Qualified, interested individuals should email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to the search committee, chaired by Kristen Down by February 28th, 2018.