The library was established following a meeting in late-1913 in what is now the center of town and is currently a t-shirt shop. New York granted a provisional charter and the Old Forge Library opened in February of 1914. In 1976, local businessman A. Richard Cohen deeded his parents’ homestead to the town’s historical group and to the library. In 1977, the library moved to this location on Crosby Boulevard.